Monday, 2 March 2015

Too Much Stuff

Something Christine and I are really noticing (as we contemplate life together) is how much stuff we already have. Even though we consider ourselves to be fairly non-materialistic and non-consumerist, there's still quite an amount to reckon with.

Stuff seems to fall into a number of categories
1. useful stuff
2. sentimental stuff
3. stuff we don't use but have kept because it 'might come in useful someday'.

Despite its name, even useful stuff can be too much. Combined, we own over 50 drinking glasses (yes Christine this blog post was the reason I was staring into the cupboard with my counting face on) and 30 mugs - and I don't even drink coffee or tea.

Sentimental stuff is tricky. Some stuff is just too meaningful to throw away. But then there's the stuff that's already lost it's emotional value. Like the greeting card I found today. Despite the first name on the card, I'm not entirely sure who it was from. Into the recycle bin.

Miscellaneous stuff is probably our hardest thing. As fans of recycling, we (especially I) have developed somewhat of a landfill-aversion. Today's example is a toolbox of spanners I was left by a friend heading overseas. Haven't used them once.

Fortunately there are some great solutions - especially for items from categories 1 and 3.

A. Streetbank.com - Primarily for sharing items with neighbours, it also has a function for giving things away. Already a fellow Taringa-ite has one of my excess clothes airers.

B. Freecycle - I'm in the Brisbane group. On Sunday I put the toolbox on freecycle and got 8 replies that night.

C. Freewheelers - A freecycle-style group that operates on facebook.

D. Facebook itself - Keep an eye out for my posts of giveaway items.

E. Gumtree - for stuff that's probably to valuable to just give away - even for generous souls like us ;)

Hopefully with all these options we can reduce our belongings without excessive use of the waste wheelie bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment